Friday, April 29, 2011

When in England, do not kill the teacher's money spider - #RaidBugStory

This month has been so busy and the days have just flown by. Taking a needed break I found where Susan over at 5 minutes for Mom has asked for creepy or funny bug stories in relation to the #RaidBugStory promotion with $500 Walmart giftcard prizes. Visit here to read all about the details and maybe share your own creepy/funny bug story.

We spent years in the military which means we experienced scorpions and black widow spiders in AZ, cockroaches that flew around the apartment in Turkey like bats, and I'll never forget the fire ants in GA. Oh yes, the military experience of worldwide assignments absolutely broadened our up-close and personal experiences along the bug and arachnid lines. I'd love to share an ackward spider experience that is funny. Our last assignment was in England where it came to pass that our 3 year old daughter killed a spider. lol I know you are nodding your heads thinking good for her - hope she didn't use her hands though. But then you aren't British.

The morning class had concluded and parents were collecting their kids to go home. What had been a wonderful day disappeared in a heartbeat as I saw the look on Mrs Smythe's face as she bore down on me. She had my daughter by the hand and what she said left me speechless. She informed me that Jessica had killed her money spider. This teacher clearly expected that I would be properly enraged. It took me awhile to sort out just how our cultures had clashed. Who knew that in England it is considered the best of luck to find a spider on your clothes. First you find the spider, then you catch and gently release it outside which brings special luck relating to money coming your way in the near future. It turns out England can afford this quaint good luck custom because their local spiders are all of a very gentle and relatively safe poison level.

My daughter only knew the reality of deadly spiders in AZ and a mother who was perfectly ok with using deadly force on any spider most especially if it was crawling on someone. As a good kid, she saw the spider on her teacher and swatted it dead. I apologized to Mrs Smythe, I explained about AZ black widows, and I attempted to explain cultural differences to my daughter as we went home where her dad laughed and laughed over the story. It's a good thing that Nursery School kids do not have permanent files because I would have to say Mrs Smythe was aloof and distant for the remaining weeks of the school term. This story became much funnier for me after Nursery School ended.

If you have a bug story to share, visit http://www.5minutesformom.com/37393/raid-bug-story/ for entry details in this Raid promotion. Here's to no spiders in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment